The holidays come with potential risks and dangers for our feline friends. Check out this list to help keep your cat protected.
· Make sure they know you’ve got a cat (so they close doors and gates).
· Create a ‘safe’ room for your cat, to allow them to hide.
· Make sure they don’t feed your cats.
· Don’t allow children to chase your cat or hold it against its will (this can increase the stress your cat is under and may cause a negative reaction such as a growl, scratch or bite).
· Don’t use preservatives in the water if your cat can reach this (recommend Sprite or 7up*). *unless you have a diabetic cat
· Pine needles cannot be digested and can hurt your cat if swallowed.
· Use a stand with a tree skirt.
· Tinsel, ribbon, ornaments, strings, wires, cords, dreidels, easily breakable decorations, and edible decorations (such as popcorn strings) if swallowed, can cause an obstruction or other serious problems.
· Candles and liquid potpourri are toxic and are dangerous if spilled or knocked over!
· Imported snow globes contain antifreeze (ethylene alcohol). As little as 1 tablespoon ingested by cats can be fatal.
· The following plants are toxic to kitties:
o Mistletoe, Holly Berries, Poinsettias, Christmas Cactus, Christmas Rose, Evergreen, Rhubarb, Philodendron, Rosary Pea, Jerusalem Cherry, Chrysanthemum, and more.
· Chocolate (dark and unsweetened most dangerous)
· ALL BONES (turkey, ham, chicken, pork, etc.)
· Skins (turkey, chicken, etc.) and gravies
· Onions, garlic, and salt
· Apples, cherries, peaches, raisins, grapes, plums, and macadamia nuts
· Milk, raw fish, and raw eggs
· Xylitol (sweetener found in gum and most sugar-free desserts)
Although our cats are like family, feeding them human food is dangerous. Consider the following: 1 oz of cheese for a cat is equal to 4 chocolate bars for a human. 1 potato chip for a cat is equal to ½ of a hamburger for a human.