You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 12-12-2015
The holidays come with potential risks and dangers for our canine companions. Check out this list to help keep your pooch protected.
· Make sure they know you’ve got a dog (so they close doors and gates).
· Create a ‘safe’ room for your dog, to allow them to hide.
· Make sure they don’t feed your dogs.
· Don’t allow children to chase your dog or hold it against its will (this can increase the stress your dog is under and may cause a negative reaction such as a growl, scratch or bite).
· Don’t use preservatives in the water if your dog can reach this (recommend Sprite or 7up*). *unless you have a diabetic dog
· Pine needles cannot be digested and can hurt your dog if swallowed.
· Use a stand with a tree skirt.
· Tinsel, ribbon, ornaments, strings, wires, cords, dreidels, easily breakable decorations, edible decorations (such as popcorn strings) if swallowed, can cause an obstruction or other serious problems.
· Candles & liquid potpourri are toxic & are dangerous if spilled or knocked over!
· Imported snow globes contain antifreeze (ethylene alcohol). As little as 2 tablespoons ingested by dogs can be fatal.
· The following plants are toxic to dogs:
o Mistletoe, Holly Berries, Poinsettias, Christmas Cactus, Christmas Rose, Evergreen, Rhubarb, Philodendron, Rosary Pea, Jerusalem Cherry, Chrysanthemum, and more.
· Chocolate (dark and unsweetened most dangerous)
· ALL BONES (turkey, ham, chicken, pork, etc.)
· Skins (turkey, chicken, etc.) and gravy
· Onions & garlic
· Raisins, grapes, and macadamia nuts
Although our dogs are like family, sharing human food with them is dangerous. Consider the following: 1 oatmeal cookie for a dog is equal to 1 hamburger for a human.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.